The Claiborne County CourthouseClaiborne County


Blue line

Lookout Point above Bayou Pierre

The Choctaw were the original settlers of the county. The first European settlement was a hunting camp near Petit Gulf established in 1729. The first permanent settlement came in 1775 and the County was formed in 1802. Named for the Territorial Governor, Claiborne County was the third established in the state. Gibson's Landing was chartered in 1803 as the county seat.


Blue line

The County was the site of two important Civil War battles. The first of these occurred when Rear Admiral David Porter led seven iron clads in an attack on the fortifications and batteries of Grand Gulf.  

The Mississippi from Grand Gulf State ParkAn improperly mounted Yankee cannon pretending to be part of Grand Gulf's defenses

While the Battle of Grand Gulf was counted as a Confederate victory, Grant was able to move his troops past the fortifications and land them at Bruinsburg, below Grand Gulf. The former town of Grand Gulf is now Grand Gulf Military Park with a museum, historic buildings, hiking trails and an observation tower with an outstanding view of the Mississippi river.

The Battle of Port Gibson started near the A. K. Shaifer house, May 1, 1863. A Federal Commission has recently compiled a Battlefield Preservation profile for the Port Gibson Battlefield. The White Star Consulting organization is currently working with local citizens to develop a preservation plan.

The Shaifer House on the Port Gibson Battlefield A study tour of the Battlefield Site

The Battle of Port Gibson was a crucial step leading to the Siege of Vicksburg and the opening of the Mississippi River.

Return to the Port Gibson page

The Alcorn Chapel (1830)Oakland College was established in 1830 as a Presbyterian School. In 1831, the first degree granted by a Mississippi institution was issued by Oakland College. The School closed at the start of the Civil War after its President, Dr. Jeremiah Chamberlain, was murdered with a bowie-knife in front of his residence. The killer, George A. Briscoe, a slave holder, suspected Dr. Chamberlain of advocating abolition.

The school was reopened in 1871 as Alcorn State University, and in 1878 became the first Land Grant college for Black students.

  Return to Home page

The ruins of Windsor Plantation
Windsor Plantation was one of the state's most spectacular mansions. It survived the Civil War, only to fall victim to a dropped cigarette. The ruins have appeared in several films including Raintree County and the more recent film Ghosts of Mississippi about the murder of Medger Evers. Not too far from Windsor is Canemount Plantation which is operated as a Bed & Breakfast.

The new Matt Ross county Building

Claiborne County continues to develop. In Port Gibson, the new Matt Ross County building,across the street from Mississippi Cultural Crossroads was designed to blend with the old buildings of the business district.

No Easy Journey exhibit
Another view of the No Easy Journey exhibit

The exhibit No Easy Journey, on view in the Matt Ross Building, shows information concerning the struggle for Civil Rights in Claiborne county. The Port Gibson boycott led to a landmark Supreme Court decision.

The exhibit is based on information from Emilye Crosby's award-winning doctoral dissertation on the Civil Rights Movement in Claiborne County.

There are some web sites with information on Claiborne County listed on my Port Gibson page. Click the link below go to the Port Gibson page.

Blue line

Return to Port Gibson Home page

Return to the Port Gibson Home page